Senior School


Physical Education

Overview

We aim to reach out to all our pupils encouraging them to capture an interest and generate enthusiasm for sporting activity.

Key aims of the P.E Department are;

  • To organise and teach a range of physical activities which are designed to develop the whole child: physical skills, intellect, tolerance, social awareness and appreciation.
  • Provide a broad range of sporting opportunities allowing for personal success in sport for all children across the ability range.
  • Raise individual performance levels across a range of sports and celebrate achievement.
  • Provide extra-curricular opportunities for all abilities through clubs, fixtures and inter-house activities.

Curriculum

Key Stage 3

Pupils in Years 7, 8 and 9 experience a broad and balanced curriculum. We aim to raise our pupils’ individual performance levels, providing opportunity for personal success. We encourage all pupils to be involved in extra-curricular activities and support individual flair. Many fixtures are played during the course of the year; competition in the area is strong and our teams confidently participate in the competitive arena. Our main school sports include; hockey netball football rugby athletics

GCSE

GCSE P.E is a two year course taught in Year 10 and 11, following the new AQA specification. The theory content covers topics such as, Anatomy & Physiology, Psychology, Movement Analysis, Sociology, Training and Diet. Pupils are assessed in three practical activities, one of which must be a team game whilst one must be an individual sport. The practical component accounts for 40% of the course with the two 75 minute examination papers making up the remaining 60%

A Level

Lower Sixth: Paper 1: New AQA Specification 2016: Factors affecting participation in physical activity and sport.

What’s Assessed – Section A - applied physiology (28 marks) Section B – Skill acquisition and sports psychology (28 marks) Section C – Sport and society and technology in sport (28 marks) = Written exam 2 hours – Total 84 = 70 of AS.

Plus Practical Performance – as a player/performer or coach in a full sided version of one activity – 15% assessment plus Written/verbal analysis of evaluation of performance – 15% assessment Total 90 marks =30 % of AS.

 

Upper Sixth: Paper 1: Factors affecting participation in physical activity and sport.

What’s Assessed – Section A - applied anatomy and physiology (935 marks) Section B – Skill acquisition (35 marks) Section C – Sport and society (35 marks) = Written exam 2 hours – Total 105 = 35% of A-level.

Paper 2. Factors affecting optimal performance in physical activity and sport.

What’s Assessed – Section A – Exercise physiology and biomechanics (35 marks) Section B – Sports Psychology (35 marks) Section C – Sport and society and technology in sport (35 marks) Written exam: 2 hours Total 105 marks = 35% of A-level. Theory overall = 70% of A-level.

Plus Practical Performance – as a player/performer or coach in a full sided version of one activity – 15% assessment plus Written/verbal analysis of evaluation of performance – 15% assessment. Total 90 marks. Practical overall = 30 % of A-level.

Educational visits and extra-curricular activity

The department recognises the benefit of sports tours. Over the last 5 years we have visited Barcelona - Football and Hockey, London – rugby, Condover - netball weekend. Proposed tours for 2016 are London – Football and Netball. Dubai 2017 – Football and Netball.

Attended International Netball matches - Champions League Football, Wimbledon Tennis, 20:20 Cricket, World Netball Series. Also, departmental staff are actively involved in and run the following clubs and activities:- Duke of Edinburgh's Award, Skiing and Equestrian teams.

Educational visits and extra curricular activity

The department recognises the benefit of sports tours. Over the last 10 years the following tours and trips have occurred:

  • Isle Of Wight – netball and hockey, 4 days.
  • Cheltenham – hockey weekend.
  • Hull – football weekend.
  • Hockey overnight, (x2 tournaments).
  • South Africa – hockey and football, 16 days.
  • Barbados – hockey, 10 days.
  • Germany – hockey, 6 days.
  • Malta – football, 6 days.
  • Edinburgh – rugby, 5 days.
  • York – netball weekend.
  • Euro Indoor Hockey Finals - overnight
  • Wimbledon Tennis Badminton Nationals
  • 20:20 Cricket World Netball Series.

 

Also, departmental staff are actively involved in and run the following clubs and activities:

  • Duke of Edinburgh
  • Skiing
  • Equestrian

 

Rooms and resources

A newly constructed pavilion is due for completion May 2016. This fantastic facility will include a fully equipped gym, state of the art teaching room, three changing rooms and a base for further opportunities for dance and gym practice.

Planning is also approved for a full size hockey AstroTurf pitch to be built in the next 18 months. This will allow for hockey matches as well as numerous activities throughout all seasons in lessons and in a wider range of extra - curricular sports.

A large field area - 3 Football pitches, Rugby, Hockey Training Grids, 400m Track, 4 Rounders Pitches, Cricket Pitch, Hard Court Area 2 Netball Courts 3 Tennis Courts, Sports Hall with 4 Badminton courts, one indoor Tennis court, Netball, Volleyball, Basketball Court/s; Indoor Hockey, 5 Table tennis tables, Dodgeball and indoor athletics facilities.

Regular Access to off-site facilities:

  • Deeside Ramblers
  • Astroturf Pitch
  • Northgate Arena
  • Chester Baths
  • Mickle Trafford Golf Course

 


Can we help?

Fill in our quick enquiry form and we'll get in touch

Infant and Junior School
Infant & Junior

Find out more about our inspiring Infant & Junior School based in Aldford

Find out more

Senior School
Senior

Explore our Senior School and the options available to students in Saighton

Find out more

Sixth Form
Sixth Form

Read more about life in the Sixth Form and the subjects you can study

Find out more