Language learning opens a world of opportunities. Not only is speaking another language vital in an international world but it enhances communication skills, provides better opportunities for employment, raises cultural and self-awareness and provides a more dynamic skill set.
This is subject to approved specifications following Governmental changes.
Lower Sixth consists of the following modules:
• Social Issues and Trends including the changing nature of family, cyberspace and voluntary work
• Artistic Culture including a culture proud of its heritage, contemporary francophone music and cinema
• A Literary Text or Film – pupils analyse, evaluate and critique a choice of either a literary text or a film with strong roots in French culture. Grammar features strongly throughout.
Assessment 1 x Listening, reading and translation exam (80 marks) 40% of AS Level 1 x Writing exam (60 marks) 30% of AS Level 1 x Speaking exam (60 marks) 30% of AS Level.
Upper Sixth consists of the following modules:
• Current Issues including positive features of a diverse society, life for the marginalised, how criminals are treated
• Aspects of Political Life including teenagers and political commitment, demonstrations, immigration
• A Literary Text or Film – continuation from AS Level
• Individual Research Project – linked to one of the subtopics studied Grammar features strongly throughout.
Assessment 1 x Listening, reading and translation exam (160 marks) 40% of A Level 1 x Writing exam (90 marks) 30% of A Level 1 x Speaking exam (60 marks) 30% of A Level.
Educational visits and extra curricular activity
All pupils are currently offered the opportunity to undertake work experience in France. Sixth form students are also encouraged to assist with language classes and assist with clubs and trips lower down the school.
Rooms and resources
We use a variety of different resources which enable us to vary our approach according to the needs of the pupils. There are interactive whiteboards in all of the teaching rooms and we have a number of different software programmes and apps to provide variety in our teaching. Additionally the school VLE has a wide range of interactive activities, games, links and support to enhance our pupils’ language learning experience.