Biology is one of the most popular subjects. It is a rewarding and challenging course which will enable you to: Develop essential knowledge & understanding of different areas of the subject and how they relate to each other Understand how society makes decisions about scientific issues and how the sciences contribute to the success of the economy and society.
• Biological molecules
• Organisms exchange substances with the environment
• Genetic information variation and relationships between organisms
Assessment is two exam papers 1.5 hours which cover content from any of the above topics and relevant practical skills.
• Energy transfers in and between organisms
• Organisms respond to changes in their internal and external environments
• Genetic populations, evolution and eco-systems
• Control of gene expression
Assessment is three exam papers, 2 hours, which cover content from both Upper and Lower Sixth.
A Level Biology is supported annually with field study. Other visits include those to Chester Zoo which is enjoyed by Year 7 pupils.
The Science department includes four purpose built laboratories. There are also three preparation rooms and a dark room. The laboratories are fully equipped, including fume cupboards, to teach the Sciences up to and including A Level. ICT provision for the laboratories includes departmental wireless laptops, data projectors, interactive white boards and data logging equipment. The laboratories are supported by three very experienced and enthusiastic technicians.