Language learning opens a world of opportunities. Not only is speaking another language vital in an international world but it enhances communication skills, provides better opportunities for employment, raises cultural and self-awareness and provides a more dynamic skill set.
This is subject to approved specifications following governmental changes.
In Lower Sixth, pupils study the following modules:
• Social Issues and Trends including modern and traditional values, cyberspace and equal rights
• Artistic Culture including modern day idols, Spanish regional identity and cultural heritage
• A Literary Text or Film – pupils analyse, evaluate and critique a choice of either a literary text or a film with strong roots in Hispanic culture. Grammar features strongly throughout.
Assessment 1x Listening, reading and translation exam (80 marks) 40% of AS-Level 1x Writing exam (60 marks) 30% of AS-Level 1x Speaking exam (60 marks) 30% of AS-Level
In Upper Sixth, pupils study the following modules:
• Multiculturalism including immigration, racism and integration
• Aspects of Political Life including today’s youth, monarchies, republics and dictatorships, movements
• A Literary Text or Film – continuation from AS Level • Individual Research Project – linked to one of the subtopics studied Grammar features strongly throughout.
Assessment 1x Listening, reading and translation exam (160 marks) 40% of A-Level 1x Writing exam (90 marks) 30% of A-Level 1x Speaking exam (60 marks) 30% of A-Level
All pupils are currently offered the opportunity to do work experience in Spain. Sixth form students are also encouraged to assist with language classes and assist with clubs and trips lower down the school.
We use a variety of different resources which enable us to vary our approach according to the needs of the pupils. There are interactive whiteboards in all of the teaching rooms and we have a number of different software programmes and apps to provide variety in our teaching. Additionally the school VLE has a wide range of interactive activities, games, links and support to enhance our pupils’ language learning experience.