College U15s in IFSA Cup Match Against Bury Grammar thumbnail image College U15s in IFSA Cup Match Against Bury Grammar Published on 2nd December 2022

5-5 Full-Time, 6-6 After Extra Time, Lost 4-2 in the shoot out

Last week our U15s played Bury Grammar in a fast paced match in the ISFA Cup.

Mr Baglole has provided the following match report:

“The match started rather well with the emphasis on getting off to a fast start; something we have not done of late, giving away 2-0 leads to the opposition in our last two matches.

With the first move of the game, the ball was swung to the left where Harry S piked it up, ran past their right back and slotted it past their keeper within the first minute of play.  This would prove to be a dominant theme as Harry S would score four goals in the first half, all down the left side, giving their right back a horrible time trying to mark him.

Bury GS came back into the game with an early goal of their own and then scored just before halftime to go into the break with points ahead, 4-2.

We could have been ahead by more after the dominant half we had, and the emphasis was on continuing to press them and get a couple of goals to put the game to bed.

The exact opposite happened, of course. Bury changing their right back and rotated their players, which gave them the momentum, scoring two quick goals to draw even at 4 goals apiece.

Our changes at halftime probably slowed our play and we got away from the possession game we were so good at in the first half.

With a couple of missed chances, our frustration was growing until we got a free kick just on the edge of the 18-yard box. Ben C stepped up and stroked it neatly into the bottom right corner for us to climb back into the lead.

Bury, being a dogged opponent, were not about to roll over and they poked in a rebound from a corner to once again knot the match at 5 all.

The boys were visibly frustrated that we hadn’t won in regular time and the message was on refocus and get back to playing our possession game, letting our forwards run at their defenders and keep testing their keeper.

Bury came out fast in extra time and scored almost immediately, taking the lead for the first time all match.

The game was flowing from end-to-end and both sides had chances to add to their tally.

Luckily, with about 5 minutes left, we got a corner, and the ball was pinging around the box until Harry F stabbed it in to draw us level at 6-6.

We missed a great chance with about one minute left but could not decide it and the match was going to penalties.

We had good feelings after winning against Wood Church HS in penalties earlier this year. On a wet surface, our first two shooters skied their attempts over the cross bar while Bury converted their first two.

Jeremy F then made an outstanding save, guessing the right direction and tipping the shot onto the post which stayed out.

Our next shooter scored, as did theirs, leaving us behind 3-1. Our fourth shooter scored a great penalty, but their last shooter scored, winning the tie 4-2 on penalties.

It was a hard-fought loss, but one thing is for certain, our matches are never boring!

The match was played in an excellent spirit, and we wish Bury Grammar School all the best as they advance in the Cup competition.”